Albert Haydley once said — “The essence of interior designing will always be about people and how they live. It is about the realities of what makes for an attractive, civilized, meaningful environment, not about fashion or what’s in or what’s out. This is not an easy job.” Today, when generations and art evolved in all its senses interior decoration and designing became the shed of light for knowing about people, their origin and their traditional cultures. It is now a medium for earning as a career and also a part of passion and sense of style. For pursuing it as a career, the education council all over the world provides various kinds of degree. Although, in true sense an official degree can only mark a stamp on your skills. If one thinks to continue without any official degree and have potential caliber and skills he/she can go for it.
What is interior decoration?
Interior decoration is the art and science of decorating residential home or commercial businesses according to the owner’s preferences and styles. It includes selecting color schemes, furniture, artwork and accessories. This transforms the area into an aesthetically pleasing design. It doesn’t need any planning and making layouts. Interior decoration is simply elimination of clusters and decorating the place. It is the whole process of playing with fabric of you upholsteries, furnishings, color palate, cushions, quilt etc. unlike an interior designer an interior decorators’ work is just different. The art of interior décor can be traced back to much older times all over the world. For instance, take an example of Mughal reign in India- the inner designs and decors of the palaces in which kings lived were specially taken care by the officials appointed. The color combinations, curtains, and even the positioning of furniture resulted in a mind-blowing decor of the palaces. The Mughal took care of showcasing their traditional styles through the décor and interiors of palace. Today all over the world this same trend is followed by many people. Either they call upon officials for this or they up hold to do the interior décor themselves with the help of internet lurking around.
Is interior designing and interior decoration same?
Quite often many people use the terms “INTERIOR DESIGN” and “INTERIOR DECORATION” interchangeably, but these two terms differ from each other in critical ways. Interior design accounts for the understanding of people’s behavior to create functional spaces within the building. Interior decoration is the furnishing or adorning of a space with fashionable or beautiful things as per the taste of style of the employer. One can say that designer can decorate but decorator cannot design. The foremost difference is that the interior designer typically has a number of other issues in his or her mind. For instance, when it comes to floor coverings, an interior decorator will be responsible to choose the type, color, texture and pattern. While, the interior designer, will make selections based on appropriateness of type, usage, sound transference, acoustic properties, static electric needs and flammability. Besides, designing of interiors sometimes may require specialization in different respects but decoration ought not to require such varied specialization of different spaces. Decoration of interiors is looked upon as whole and not specifically.
Types of interior decorations
Due to different cultures and styles around this world people prefer a varied taste when it comes to interior decoration. The interior decorators these days try to keep pace with the growing modernization, tradition, origin and true sense of style and skill while doing their work. Few of which examples are enlisted below in brief-
- Coastal — it is a style for those people of prefers ocean and beaches in their daily lives. Main color schemes of the day is white, blue, green and orange accessorized by framed ocean reefs, sea shells, wood elements and casual furniture. All this should be indulging into a relaxed and calm atmosphere.
- Modern — a sleek style highlighting simplicity. Designs are clean and non-cluttered. Straight and bold lines are the priority. Color schemes preferred are white, gray and black incorporated with some other elegant shades. Natural accessory elements like wood frames, metal décor and furniture are utilized.
- Contemporary — it is a softer version of modern design. It allows for bold, soft and neutral colors. It is different from modern design because its style always keeps changing. It focuses on today’s designs and trends, what defines a contemporary style today may not be same in the future.
- Modern glam — it merges contemporary design with modern design. Luxury feeling fabrics like velvet, tufted chairs, ottomans, metallic furniture are all commonly used and paired with neutral bold color schemes. Other features like chandeliers, large mirrors, ruffled materials and jeweled objects add sophisticated and classy touches.
- Country — it highlights natural materials and rustic elements to compose an outdoor farm life environment. Red is a predominant color with soft accent colors. Wicker baskets, pallets and white porcelain pieces are the accessories used.
- Eclectic — all elements, colors, textures and materials are used to create a distinctive space. If a client is unsure about their style, but fond of many styles then they should favor the eclectic look. The saying “anything goes” truly works for this eclectic design.
What makes you a perfect interior decorator?
It is indeed a great yet challenging job to hold the skills and sense of perfect interior decoration. Some of the interior decorators work independently while some work for design firms. The 2010 median pay was $46,280 according the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The standard requirement for being an official interior decorator is a bachelor’s degree. Following points should be kept in mind if one is considering him/her self as a perfect and skillful interior decorator:
- Communication — an attitude of cooperation and collaboration with various furniture and décor suppliers, contractors and architects is the key. Decorators have to use their communication skills in all aspects of their work. They must listen to their clients but also use persuasion at times to sell their ideas with the objective of making high priced sales.
- Problem solving — interior decorators should be critical thinkers who must use their time wisely and make sound decisions on the go. Some décor spaces have impediments as barriers in the way of fulfilling clients requests, therefore decorators should come up with strategies to work around such problems and challenges with the help of the consult of respective clients too.
- Design principles — knowledge of basic principles of design and the ability to effectively to apply them is the key skill. Working all the principles is vital to a functionally useful and beautiful design. Decorators must also have proficiency on graphics programmer commonly used in designing.
- Service — this simply implies the understanding between the client and decorators. The customization of designs according to needs is the sole motive.
Interior decoration is an art of converting the very indifferent interiors of unattractive spaces into quality decorations and structuring. As we evolved since ancient times, our homes and style of living in them evolved too. A space, be it a house or commercial business is successful only if it is pleasant to live in or work in. the vibes create much of the outcome of the importance of interior decoration. After all, there is nothing more exciting than incorporating bold, vibrant colors and styles with a striking mix of genres and periods to create a lively, magical space that inhabits memories and enrich lives. Interior decoration is journey to know the space at its core and recreate it with much more convincing and fantastic environment.